Monday, March 21, 2011

In Loving Memory



I've always loved animals. When I was a kid I would walk to the pet store closest to my house to visit the animals that I wasn't allowed to have (my dad was allergic) - mostly cats, since dogs were always out of the question during my childhood. Sometimes the owner would let me play with the kittens, or hold some of the smaller animals. I could have spent hours there, and I think some days I did, just watching the kittens. They were always my favorite.

The pet store that I would walk to was Animal Talk - it wasn't until I was an adult that I learned that they are actually a no-kill shelter, and all the adorable cats and kittens that they had were rescued. Over the years I have had many rescued kittens, and Oliver himself was actually "rescued" though he didn't come from a shelter, he just showed up one day on my front porch, lonely and hungry (how could I say no?). So, in loving memory of El Guapo, Oliver and I have decided to donate 50% of sales this week (March 21-27, 2011) to Animal Talk to help other kitties in need. Yep, that's right, half of every dollar you spend at Moxie and Oliver this week will go directly to help the kitties. So here are some ways to shop:

Moxie and Oliver


Etsy store

Artfire Store

Alere Modern
(applies to Moxie & Oliver merchandise only)


To further honor the memory of Guapo, I've decided to plant some Tiger Lilies in the yard (the picture above is Guapo helping me garden in summer '10). Guapo was a plant eater, and they were the reason for his first (and thankfully his only) trip to the kitty ER. For the last three years we couldn't have any flowers in the house. Right now we have a vase of tulips on the table, and every time I walk past I look for bite marks.

Sweet dreams, and happy shopping - remember it's for a good cause!
C



No comments: