Monday, September 10, 2012

My Favorite Bag (i.e., why I am a leatherworker)

IMG_9520IMG_9522IMG_9524IMG_9526

When I was in high school and college my favorite bags were vintage airline “stewardess” bags.  I’d buy them, love them, and use them up in a matter of months.  They ripped, and usually zippers or other hardware came off.  Mostly when this happens to a non-leather bag, it’s not repairable.  I tried to meticulously hand-stitch the zipper on this one back on, but it wasn’t in the cards.  The stitching just came out elsewhere.  So, I gave up.  I put it in the closet, unable to part with it, and figured eventually I’d repair it or make my own.

A few weeks ago, I made my own.  I’m testing out the prototype and making a few changes to it because I want my customers to have the most durable, beautiful, leather goods available.  So far, I’m loving the prototype.  Here’s a glimpse -

alabama stewardess 1 (1500x1000)alabama stewardess 2 (1500x1000)alabama stewardess 3 (1500x1000)alabama stewardess 4 (1500x1000)

It’s really structured to start out (and it’s something like 5 “ deep – it’s crazy big) but the top does collapse down because it is carried under your arm.  I usually leave the zipper open and treat it like a tote, but then if I need to be sure everything stays secure, I can zip it up.  My plan is to use it as a diaper bag/purse, but if you’re not in need of diapers, it can fit a portfolio, ipad, day planner, camera (my digital SLR fits in the case, in the bag), water bottle (standing up), as well as all your daily essentials.

My husband even brought the bag to me the other day with our cat, Stella, in it.  Granted, she’s the smaller of the two, but he also hadn’t taken any of my other stuff out!

Look for this to hit the website next week.  It will come out initially in two patterns, and custom orders are always available.

xo

c

No comments: