Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Moxie & Oliver Guitar Straps – How it all began

This is the very first guitar strap I ever made.  Not just the first pattern, but the very, very first strap.  It’s the Sugar Skull Guitar Strap in Antique Black.  It looks like it was from September 10, 2007 – just 5.5 short years ago. 

Since that first strap, guitar straps have become my biggest seller.  I currently have a collection of 113 handmade leather guitar straps on my website, and some come in multiple color combinations, so I can’t say offhand how many options there really are but I’d guess over 200.  The customer favorite by far is the Personalized “Smokey” Guitar Strap since you can make it completely, 100%, yours by adding your own inscription.

I never thought I’d be in the business of making guitar straps.  I’m “tone-dumb” (apparently I’m not really tone-deaf, though most of the time I feel like I am) and tried playing guitar for about a year in the 8th grade.  It was grunge, I lived in Seattle, I liked guys with long hair.  Needless to say, it didn’t take.  I never actually managed to play a song on the guitar. 

So, for those of you with an ear for music and a penchant for picking, I’ll make you some killer straps.  I like to say that a beautiful strap makes you a better musician, since it will inspire you to practice (maybe that was my problem all those years ago!). I added thirty or so to my website recently, and here are a few of my favorite of the new ones:

The Harbinger Guitar Strap - Handmade leather guitar strap with stork - Moxie and Oliver

Harbinger Guitar Strap, $115

The Smokey Lotus Strap - Personalized leather strap with lotus flowers - Moxie and Oliver

Smokey Lotus Guitar Strap, $115

The Nellie Poppy Guitar Strap - Handmade leather guitar strap with skull - Moxie and Oliver

Nellie Poppy Guitar Strap, $115

The Hugs Guitar Strap - Handmade leather guitar strap with octopus tentacles - Moxie and Oliver

Hugs Guitar Strap, $110

The Butterfly Poppy Guitar Strap - Handmade leather guitar strap with butterflies - Moxie and Oliver

Butterfly Poppy Guitar Strap, $115

The Smokey Buckle Guitar Strap - Handmade leather guitar strap with buckle adjust - Moxie and Oliver

Buckle Guitar Strap, $115

The Dragon Guitar Strap - Handmade leather guitar strap with dragon - Moxie and Oliver

Dragon Guitar Strap, $115

The Rosa Guitar Strap - Handmade leather guitar strap with roses - Moxie and Oliver

Rosa Guitar Strap with Buckle, $125

xo

c

No comments: